1. “Quiz on Korea,” a global quiz show on the Republic of Korea first held last year, will take place for the second time in Seoul on August 31. The event will be co-hosted by the Foreign Ministry and Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) with the support of Gyeongsangbuk-do (North Gyeongsang Province), Gyeongju City and Hyundai Motor Company.
2. “Quiz on Korea” is a public diplomacy program conducted by the Foreign Ministry. The program, designed to enhance foreigners' interest in and the image of the ROK, calls for holding preliminary quiz contests on the ROK in foreign countries and inviting their winners to the ROK to compete in the final round.
3. The 30 winners of the preliminaries held in 30 countries will visit the ROK from August 23 through September 1. During their visit, they will go sightseeing in Seoul, visit Gyeongsangbuk-do and Gyeongju to learn about Korean history and culture, make a tour of Pohang Iron and Steel Company (Posco) and the Kia Motors plant in Hwaseong and watch live the Music Bank, one of KBS music programs. By drawing upon these experiences, they will compete in the final round of “Quiz on Korea” at KBS hall on August 31.
4. The final round of the Second “Quiz on Korea” will be broadcast on KBS 1TV at 10:00-12:00, September 19, as a special program for the Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) holidays. It will also be aired by KBS World for some 200 million people in 88 countries around the world to watch.
5. In the First “Quiz on Korea” event held last year, the winners of the preliminaries in 23 countries competed in the final round, where the contestant from Uzbekistan won the grand prize.
6. The Second “Quiz on Korea” drew participation of some 5,000 people from 30 countries, a large increase from its first kind, and its preliminaries can be characterized by higher levels of difficulty of its questions and interviews than those of last year. Whereas the majority of the contestants were Asian women in their teens last year, this year’s event witnessed participation by more diverse groups of people. This trend demonstrates that the “Quiz on Korea” event serves as an opportunity for more people around the world to become aware of the ROK.
The increased participation by diverse groups of people is considered a proof that Hallyu (Korean Wave) is not a temporary trend popular among younger generations but is evolving into a culture for more diverse groups. In the final round of “Quiz on Korea” this year, in particular, all the questions will be presented via video in a bid to effectively show diverse and dynamic aspects of the ROK.
7. The Foreign Ministry expects the “Quiz on Korea” event to serve as a genuine two-way festivity for youths with the shared interest in the ROK to build friendship and share their own cultures with one another. Furthermore, it expects the participants to play a role in promoting the ROK back home. “Quiz on Korea” co-hosted by the Foreign Ministry and KBS will establish itself as the ROK’s flagship event for public diplomacy and a global quiz show.
Spokesperson and Deputy Minister for Public Relations of MOFA
* unofficial translation